TowneleyGatehouse TECHNALIANS  Burnley Heasandford Towneley

HOME PAGE
Photo SET A
1 - 12
Photo SET B
13 - 24
Photo SET C
25 - 38
REUNION INDEX Towneley School Builing Index
LAST VISIT TO TOWNELEY SCHOOL BEFORE DEMOLITION
EXTERNAL VIEWS OF TOWNELEY SCHOOL BUILDINGS
June 12th 2010 (Photographs by Graham Tennant - Set A)
Original front door   Brick frontage
1.  2  The original front door framed in red. Ground floor rooms included the headmasters room, secretary and medical room. Above was originally (1940s) the library, later the art room.. The much later new front door, is coloured purple on the right, and led into a foyer area which porvided a link with new technology rooms.
 Canteen stairwell  FRONT DOOR Stairwell    
3  (left) The end of the original teaching block with the windows visible to light the staircase outside the canteen. The room with a white blind was originally the Textile Workshop
4  (right) the original front door (red) with the windows for the staircase alongside the Crush Hall. The tower above the door also provided a service space for water tanks and boiler house chimney.
tyrees      Canteen trees
5  (left) These stunted trees at the junction of the kitchen and canteen buildings provide a marker in the restored parkland after the building's demolition.. The tall windows provided for the buidling's orginal function as a gym show the canteen area.
6 (right) The teaching block (righ) and gym / canteen (left) are clearly seen;; toghether with the staff room area (red drain pipes).
YARD   KITCHEN & BOYS YARD
These next photographs show what was in TTHS days the senior yard and in the BTHS period became the Boys yard.
7 (left)  The building to the right was built as the gym and was converted to become the canteen in 1952 by addition of kitchens (behind the green waste bin) and new gym facilities elsewhere.
 8 (right) alongside an access road from Towneley Holmes were the kitchens, added as part of the 1952 enlargement when the original gym was converted to become the Canteen. The room above the left hand blue door was the new Drawing Office added in 1952 above the staff room. The range of room to the left were science labs on two floors.
       Boys yard 2   Boys Yard
9 (right) The science block (Chemistry and Physics  on the ground floor with the library to the left and Biology to the right on the first floor.. The window behind the red bin was the Chemistry preparation room which was used for 'A' level teaching and practicals. Above was the Boy Prefect's room. The tall windo to the left of the blue door illuminated one of three staircases to the first floor. To the left of the picture is the left hand classroom wing.
10 Another view of the kitchen (right), canteen (centre), and Biology Lab(left) on the 1st floor with the Physics lab beneath it.
Classroom wing   Prefects room     
11 The left hand classroom wing later joined to the new sports hall.
12  The junction of the 1952 classroom wing to the original school building, chemistry lab on ground floor and library (1952) obove.
The pitched roofs were added in the 1990s to aliviate a persistant leakage problem with the original flat roof design.
NEXT SET OF EXTERNAL PHOTOGRAPHS [B] GOTO TOP