TowneleyGatehouse TECHNALIANS  Burnley Heasandford Towneley

HOME PAGE
GENERAL INTEREST SCHOOL BUILDINGS INDEX
Of General Interest . . . .
TOWNELEY SCHOOL BUILDINGS (1941 - 2011)
School Demolition (Monday February 28th 2011
(a) seen from Towneley Holmes
NorthEast  NorthEast
East / Front Door main gates    east   EAST
All that remains standing facing onto Towneley Holmes is the original front door, staircase and water tower. On the ground floor is the Heads Room and on the first floor what was origionally the library and in the 1950s the art room. Behind the "Crush Hall" most of the original Hall (later to be the Drama Studio) is still standing. The shrubs / trees visible in the middle distance of the last two pictures were growing in the Quadrangle which was demolished around them.
      EAST Quad    EASTpaths   paths 
   
 EAST PATH  EAST-
Looking through the south gate into what was the Senior / Boys yard with the stunted trees in line with the kitchens and canteen. The second photograph shows the trees / bushes growing in the quadrangle; and reveals Woodgrove Road exposed by removel of gym, classroom wings and the original two-story blocks around the quadrangle. In the third picture, the newly surfaced path from Towneley Holmes runs up the side of the school site (especially in this view alongside the all weather sports area) which is being laid out with  shuttering for the path edges. Large lorrys were delivering top soil in preparation for restoring the site to parkland.
Continued as (b) seen from Woodgrove Road
GOTO TOP